National Grid is hiring a Lead Civil/Structural Engineer for our Options Solutions Engineering group in Syracuse, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
In accordance with guidelines regarding companies classified as Federal contractors and consistent with our core commitment of safety, National Grid has made the decision to require all new hires to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated as a condition of hire. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a religious belief or a disability can request a reasonable accommodation. Job Purpose
Options Solutions Engineering designs projects that improve the reliability of the high-voltage electric system for our customers. Our team has a process driven and self-directed culture, solving diverse technical challenges for large, complex, multi-year projects. We investigate new, innovative solutions for a wide variety of projects. Options Solutions Engineering ensures safe and reliable Electric transmission and distribution system with a focus on low-cost fit for purpose solution to serve our customers and communities now and in the future. Key Accountabilities
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Substation technical support which may include the review of engineering drawings, manufacturer drawings and equipment specifications. Technical support to various departments including Engineering, Design, Operations and Construction
- Lead development of technical content and implementation of Substation Engineering and Design philosophy, standards, guidelines and procedures; identify risks and put in place actions to ensure compliance with standards and regulatory requirements
- Guide and inform on the development, enhancement, and refinement of standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria
- Assist other Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in technical discussions to facilitate the development and updating of standards
- Interpret and adapt relevant industry best practices, standards and legislation for the benefit of the Company
- Resolve technical issues that may arise in updating and development of standards
- Work in a matrixed team environment and promote effectiveness by providing technical guidance and coaching and communicating expectations
- Prioritize work and be a team member on multiple projects at one time under budget and time constraints
- Perform and check complex calculations and studies (steel structures, concrete foundations, etc.) to support substation projects
- Prepare comprehensive written and oral reports of technical problems, investigative findings, and engineering recommendations
- Support Project Manager and Project Management Processes
- Able to motivate, counsel, coach, and develop direct reports and others.
- Experience establishing clearly defined goals and standards of employee performance.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil/Structural Engineering or Civil/Structural Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited engineering school with familiarity of substation equipment
- Professional Engineering License in New York State preferred
- Master's degree in Civil or Structural Engineering desirable
- 10+ years of experience without PE license or 8+ years with PE license (requirement may also be reduced with appropriate advanced degrees in Engineering)
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Familiarity with Sharepoint, SAP, STAAD, Bentley Microstation, AUTO-CAD, Primavera, Cascade and/or other similar software tools desirable
- Working knowledge of industry standards, safety standards, and current civil and structural engineering design codes including but not limited to: substation construction and maintenance practices, electric utility practices, substation materials and equipment, ASCE, ACI, SEI, IEEE, ANSI, NFPA 70, ASTM, NEC, NESC Codes, and NYS Building Code
- Valid driver's license required with acceptable driving record that meets National Grid's Safe Motor Vehicle Operations Policy
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
Web Reference : AJF/375383320-202
Posted Date : Thu, 23 Jun 2022
Please note, to apply for this position you will complete an application form on another website provided by or on behalf of NATIONAL GRID CO USA (NE POWER). Any external website and application process is not under the control or responsibility of IT JobServe