Providence St. Joseph Health is calling a Principal Cloud Engineer focused on Cloud Architecture and Solution Design to our location in Renton, WA; Redmond, WA; Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; Beaverton, OR; Irvine, CA; Missoula, MT or Spokane, WA locations..other locations considered within the Providence footprint Is an exceptional healthcare experience important to you? Would you like to contribute towards the transformation of Healthcare for a Better World? Are you seeking a role that helps drive modernization, simplification and security compliance through Cloud Adoption and the reduction of Technical Debt across a large enterprise? The Providence Cloud Engineering & Operations (CEO) team is looking for a Principal Cloud Engineer who will work in partnership with developers, testers, and program managers, (typically early in the development process) to design, operate, grow, and improve large-scale, cloud-based services offered to IS and non IS caregivers. Their technical skills are on par with their Development, Test, and Program Management counterparts. This caregiver will be closely aligned with our Cloud Migration Team to remove obstacles from moving to Azure, partner with 3rd party vendors and suppliers to design solutions, and develop scalable and repeatable patterns to modernize the Healthcare IS portfolio. The role is critical for Providence's digital transformation and modernization efforts which will lead the Healthcare industry by providing the optimal patient and caregiver experience through modern technology.
Providence Cloud Engineering & Operations (CEO) supports the provisioning and operations of both On-premise and Azure Cloud infrastructure across the Providence enterprise. We are a growing team and have established a new Engagement function responsible for working with executive leadership and their teams across the enterprise to encourage Azure Cloud adoption leveraging application migrations, net new project implementations, and as a means to reduce our on-premise technical debt and footprint. This Engagement role should possess a Cloud First mindset and will be responsible for serving as the point of contact to one or more customer organizations assisting them to prioritize these initiatives within their portfolio and establishing committed plans for execution and delivery. In this role, you will provide progress updates to our executive leadership in weekly/monthly reviews and communications, engage application team leaders to drive work forward, facilitate execution of work between our various IS teams, help identify risks and unblock issues with execution and delivery, leverage data and reporting tools to make data-driven decisions and report on progress of work, manage tasks through Azure Dev Ops, and drive outcomes which support our Caregiver Experience and Cloud First Missions. If you live outside the Puget Sound area, light travel may be required to our corporate offices as the need arises.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities\:
- Partner with Engineering, Development, QA, and Program/Project Management peers to translate caregiver, business and technical requirements into components of a service architecture, ensuring that the service will meet compliance and operability standards, and KPIs around resilience, availability, quality, cost, and caregiver expectations.
- Create and identifies standards and best practices and is responsible for building and implementing required architecture in partnership with other IS engineering teams. Advocates the IS roadmap and vision and drives adoption across service teams.
- Lead the planning and design of a service delivery system across service teams that defines tools, hardware, processes, role assignments, dependencies, and documentation, resulting in a complete system that supports service delivery and meets KPIs. Creates detailed project plans including milestones, testing, documentation and implementation.
- Communicate with stakeholders and applies advanced diagnostic expertise to restore service with minimal disruption to the caregiver and business. During service disruptions and degradations, owns the problem, solving it once and for all. Extrapolates from past experiences and delivers innovations.
- Actively take part in disaster recovery drills. Participates as needed in incident response management during non-working hours.
- Own the design, implementation, testing, and management of alerting and telemetry systems, and disaster recovery and business continuity plans in partnership with other engineering teams to support 24x7 uptime goals. Makes recommendations on capacity requirements, based on service KPIs, evolving caregiver usage scenarios, and proposed new feature releases to enable the team to create a viable cost model.
- Is accountable for the Service Engineering component of a cost model and the reporting framework for one or more services, and develops initiatives to reduce operational costs.
- Is accountable for the cost model and reporting system that enables teams to forecast, track, and report on the costs generated by business and usage scenarios, as well as ensuring adherence to guidelines and best practices. Maximizes the effectiveness of financial resources.
- Use expertise to identify potential platform, system, deployment, security and environmental issues prior to service and solution releases, ensuring an on-time release with measurable improvement in KPIs.
- Develop and maintain effective processes to automate tasks and ensure compliance with security policies and drives the adoption of a solution across multiple service teams.
- Accountable for service and infrastructure lifecycle planning to ensure critical software and hardware components are kept current.
- Accountable for the information management of applications, device, and infrastructure data inside the CMDB (Configuration Management Database) and associated systems.
- Provides leadership within the business by developing innovative methods for measuring the caregiver experience, and uses this data to identify and drive service and business improvements.
- Consistently analyzes operational cost data, identifies cost-saving efficiencies and influences the business to adopt these efficiencies across multiple service teams.
- Look for opportunities to continually improve caregiver satisfaction.
- Mentor and be a technical leader to less experienced team members, improving their skills, their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done.
- Create and identifies standards and best practices and drives the adoption of them by IS. Acts as the group's thought leader on new technologies and their adoption.
Required qualifications for this position include\:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or equivalent education/experience.
- 8 years related experience.
- Strong experience leveraging data and metrics to drive behavior, process, and priority decisions. Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems. Strong experience in advanced problem solving using systematic procedures and investigating problems utilizing root cause analysis.
Preferred qualifications for this position include\:
- Master's Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or equivalent education/experience.
- 8-12 year related experience.
- Experience in a Healthcare environment.
- Expert knowledge of cloud services and modern IT/system architectures (Azure preferred)
- Translate solution requirements to enterprise standards and patterns
- Experience working with healthcare systems in a Cloud First environment
- Proficiency with working in an Agile Framework and Engineering environment
- Ability to work with outside/3rd Party providers and vendors
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education/experience.
- Coursework/Training or equivalent education/experience.
About the department you will serve.
Providence Shared Services provides a variety of functional and system support services for our Providence family of organizations across Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington. We are focused on supporting our Mission by delivering a robust foundation of services and sharing of specialized expertise.