Ritter Communications has been at the forefront of the local communications industry for more than a century. We began providing telephone service in Northeast Arkansas in 1906. Today, Ritter Communications serves 92 communities and more than 45,000 customers across Arkansas, northeast Texas, southeast Missouri, and west Tennessee. The company has grown steadily over the years, expanding rapidly and is now the largest privately-held regional broadband fiber, telecom, video and cloud services provider in the Mid-South. Ritter invests heavily in the communities it serves by deploying proven, best-in-class infrastructure and technology, while coupling it with a world-class customer focused experience.
We are looking for an experienced Network Engineer to join our team!
The Network Engineer is responsible for technology evaluation, equipment standardization, documentation, network architecture, and service development related to the Ritter Communications Network. The role has a general understanding of all services offered by the company, with an emphasis in layer 2 and 3 services.
Essential Job Functions
- Generates quote requests, orders, and negotiates directly with vendors;
- Prepares project budgets and manages capital and operating expenses on engineering projects; provide regular reporting and forecasting related to project budgets;
- Attends various meetings with management, departments and vendors to ensure company objectives are met;
- Participates in inter-departmental planning meetings to coordinate and communicate activities related to the successful completion of projects;
- Works closely with the Operational and planning teams network deployments;
- Works closely with other engineering teams, network and field technicians, product development and OSS teams to design and roll out new data infrastructure, technologies and services;
- Works closely with Product Marketing to ensure successful delivery of all technical components of new services and service enhancements;
- Works closely with Operational and Engineering teams to develop provisioning guides, deployment guides, and training packages to ensure new technologies and services are supportable by the operations group;
- Configures and commissions network elements;
- Runs technology and service trials;
- Travels to project sites and job areas as required;
- Perform and analyze packet captures;
- Performs other duties as assigned by Network and Service Architecture Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of modern service provider data networks, technologies and protocols;
- Knowledge of SD-WAN architecture and ability to integrate it into service delivery types and network topologies.
- Knowledge of access technologies; such as G-PON, XGS-PON, xDSL, G.Fast, FTTH
- Knowledge of network system design, development methods, and techniques;
- Knowledge of network management practices and procedures;
- Knowledge and the ability to design in all of the OSI layers model;
- Knowledge of IPv6 routing protocols and best practices;
- Evaluates and standardize IP technologies and architectures in relation to the infrastructure and service needs of Ritter Communications in a Service Provider Network;
- Develops policies and standards for protocols and technologies such as BGP, IS-IS, OSPFv3, MPLS, Segment Routing, Multicast protocols; SIP, and MGCP;
- Must have a deep understanding of QOS within the OSI layers;
- Skill in operating various office equipment such as personal computer, various software programs including Microsoft Office applications(Excel, Outlook, Visio);
- Skill in problem identification and resolution;
- Skill in oral and written communication;
- Skill in reading and interpreting technical documents such as vendor deployment guidelines, white papers and configuration manuals;
- Ability to communicate with customers, employees, and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner;
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments;
- Ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to make sound decisions using information at hand;
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Networking, or a related field plus three years of telecommunications technical experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
Ritter Communications is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We strive to maintain a drug-free workplace.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package including health, dental, vision, cancer, accident and life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) with company match, flexible spending accounts, free gym membership, company discounts, tuition reimbursement, paid training, paid leave, and much more!
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)